What I was afraid of is now happening. It was really great the last two weeks. I would wake up, do a workout, have breakfast and play with the kids during the day. Now that I’m back at work, the hectic schedule is striking me full blast. You see, I got a promotion just before Christmas and the repercussions are hitting me now. I have to do a million things every day and I have to do overtime to have at least a few of them done. So tasks are pilling up like crazy. It’s hard to keep up the resolutions which were exercise, eat well, play with the kids and have my 8 hours of sleep.
What drives me crazy is that I want to spend quality time with my family and work is getting in the middle of it. I hate what society is becoming. If you want to work in a private company and progress, they assume, and expect, that you don’t have a personal life and that most of your time needs to be devoted to the company. I would really like to get my hands on that old teacher of mine which said that we (the students) were very lucky because we would live in an era of pleasure and that computers would do all the work for us :-( Well, at least with the exercising and good eating, my energy is positive and I can take it a little bit better that I would have a month ago.
7 comments:
Glad to see you back. I know it's only a day, but we're a family now, whether you like it or not, and we're looking out for each other.
Time is your biggest enemy. Ask yourself honestly what you can do to save time. Are you really busy 24-7 (minus sleep)? Do you watch TV? Do you have down time? Can you get up earlier in the morning?
If the answer to all of those is no, you can still eat healthy, make good decisions, and take the steps at work. It's a lifestyle decision that you have to commit yourself to, and once you've done that, it'll fall into place.
Try doing a few crunches in the morning when you're still in bed. Stretch out while you're in the shower. Do a few pushups while the coffee is brewing. Those types of thing.
No one said it was easy.. but you'll get there. We're all here for you.
I don't watch TV and I don't feel like getting out of bed before 4h45 (I would quickly have sleep deprivation). So far I’ve been making time for my family and my workout. That is not the problem. It’s that I soon may be forced to cut in my family time or sleep in order to work a little bit more. That’s what frustrating me. One thing’s for sure, I’m the master of my life and I don’t intend to stop exercising or eating well ;-)
Glad to hear it. How old are the kids? Are they old enough to go on walks with you? Maybe a family outing? Just throwing ideas out there for you.
Rob has some great ideas. No, we can't all set aside an hour each day to go to the gym and focus on working out. We all have to adapt and do what works for us.
Yves, how much time are you devoting to sleep? Sleep is obviously very important for both physical and mental health, but I've been reading everywhere that 8 hours isn't essential for a "good" night's sleep. 7 hours can be just as good. I know it's different for different people, but maybe be open to the idea of cutting into your sleep time (assuming you're not only getting only 6 hours a night).
I hope I'm not coming across as critical because I think you're doing a great job of balancing the things in your life. It's tough to do...I know! But one thing I've realized in all of this is that I've got to make time for exercise or it's not going to happen. :)
Keep up the great work!
For average people, 7 hours of sleep is probably fine, but if you're undergoing the stress/recovery cycle (as someone who is strength training is doing), the body optimally needs 8 hours for best results. And not 8 hours in bed, 8 hours of sleep ;)
I didn't know that exercise made a difference in the sleep equation. I've always heard/read it addressed to the general public. Wow, I'm screwed then. :) I'm getting maybe 6 hours of sleep a night during the week. With two small kids, I get even less on the weekends! Anyway, thanks, Billy! That's good to know.
Right now, I get about 6 hours (of bedtime, not sleep) and that was my resolution to increase it to about 7.5 to 8 hrs. If I can at least get 7.5, I wake up fully energized. Below that, it's though.
Post a Comment