Saturday, January 6, 2007

Mind over body

Ok, as I said in my previous post, I pushed my self a little bit more yesterday with the legs workout. Man, those lunges can really hurt you! This morning I could barely walk and it was soooooo though to get out of bed. Fortunately, my heart told me that I had to keep going and it's what I did. I went down the stairs and stepped on the elliptical trainer. The first 3 minutes were really though and actually seemed like hours. My body was telling me (more like screaming) to stop and take a rest but my mind told me to keep going. So, I guess that the saying that the mind is stronger than the body is true. This is something I learned, a long time ago, when I was practicing Karate but that I had since forgotten. The instructors would push us to our limit and tell us that it was not our body that was in control but our mind. That if we wanted to, our body, no matter its condition, would follow. So, my body followed and actually performed better than in my last cardio workout. I did more miles in the same time. My body is still very sore but my mind is at peace.

2 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

The Karate comparison is a good one. I do the same thing. I'll find myself on the Elyptical machine CUSSING myself out. It's all about how much you want it. Your body's going to handle whatever your mind can, within reason.

As for the workouts and you being sore, it gets better as you go. Just make sure you take care of yourself, you don't want to break anything.

Dave said...

Ugh, Lunges... I hate lunges. I was going to find a replacement for them, but I decided to try and get used to them and actually like them.

Dave